Thursday, August 16, 2007

Monday's Word to the Wise, An Introduction

"$5 words," as they are sometimes called, are words that are really useful if one wants to present an air of pretense. Honestly, I don't think it is a very good idea to use big fancy words in an attempt to appear smart. If that is what you are playing at it will quickly become obvious and people will probably begin to assume that you are just depending on a thesaurus and aren't, in fact, very intelligent at all. That said I have found that cultivating one's vocabulary can be very helpful in finding the best word to convey what one actually means. With this in mind I will attempt to offer a word blog each week. Because I love words so much and want to do them justice this blog will not just consist of a big word and a generic definition, you can get that off of Joey Tribiani's word a day toilet paper! No, this blog will also include etymology, synonyms and perhaps a clever quote in which the word is used if I can find one. I intend to be fully entertained by this blog segment and I hope that anyone else who reads it and, undoubtedly, recognizes it for the horrendously cheesy segment that it is will choose to kindly and patiently indulge my cheesiness. Look for my first word blog on Monday!

No comments: