Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Study in the Ridiculous

Just for fun this past week I have been cataloguing ridiculous moments and events that I have witnessed and/or participated in each day. I have selected one favorite from each day (not completely true, see Saturday and Sunday) to share with you.

Wednesday: A motivational speaker came to work to give a motivational speech on how to become a "Humor Being." His program for success in life took a formulaic approach with three Atti-tools (yes, that is true, I couldn't make that up!). At times he was moderately funny and he even said a few things that were logically coherent but he was basically arguing for a run-of-the-mill, been done before, Epicurean-Hedonistic approach to human existence with a bit of pop-psychology thrown in for good measure. So, was his talk a success? I would have to argue that it was. Afterall, he was there to motivate and by the end of his talk I found that I did feel quite motivated to cynically roll my eyes. So...good for him, I guess.

Thursday: I had an interview for a job as an administrative assistant to a new director in the company. Wanting to look put together and professional I searched in my closet for my most serious looking skirt and fished around in my sock drawer for a pair of pantyhose. I have to admit, I was looking pretty nice until, while sitting at my desk, I had the strangest sensation of something small sitting on my leg just below my right knee and then gliding up to about three inches above my knee...Yes, for no apparent reason my hose got a huge an undeniable run in them while I was innocently sitting at my desk! My question is who invented pantyhose anyway and why? I'll tell you this, I will have to be interviewing for the Pope's job before I find it important enough to put a pair of those things on again!

Friday: The cost of cream cheese spread is just insane. I learned this when I bought a bagel in the cafeteria for breakfast and it cost a very reasonable $0.90 but the measley little 1oz, barely enough to spread over the bagel, cream cheese cost $0.45! Am I wrong to think its weird that the cost of the topping is 50% of the cost of the actual food?

Saturday and Sunday: Okay, my weekend was actually fairly pedestrian. I can't think of any major, "are you kidding me!?!" moments to share so we'll just move right along to:

Monday: Two words: Columbus Day.

Tuesday: The fact that there is such a drink as a "green tea latte" is odd enough but the fact that I, (1) actually tried such a thing and (2) found it utterly delightful and would actually like to be drinking one now, 14 hours later, is something that I find absolutely bewildering and ridiculous.

No comments: