Wednesday, October 3, 2007

My Movie Dilemma

I love movies and everything associated with them. I love renting movies for a Friday night at home and going to the movies to catch the latest blockbuster and I love eating popcorn while watching a movie in either of these settings. I love lots of different kinds of movies too: Romantic comedies, action flicks, epic films, anything Audrey Hepburn did, kid movies--The Emporer’s New Groove is genius and I will not be convinced otherwise—Laugh out loud comedies, I could go on but that is probably enough to give a general picture of my movie preferences.
Why all this talk about my love of film? Well, over the weekend I wanted to rent something so I ran down to the nearest rental store. When I got there I realized that I had a problem that I have never had before when it comes to selecting movies: I live alone. I’ve never lived alone before and I’ve always had a roommate to help me select a movie to see. Granted, we would sometimes go back and forth about what to see forever and end up compromising on something that neither of us was too excited about, but at least we could help each other come to a decision! Also, the stakes weren’t so high because if the movie ended up being just terrible we could mock it together and still have fun. If it was scary we wouldn’t be alone to psyche ourselves out when it was over. And if it was thought-provoking we would have someone to rehash it with for hours afterward. In short, my former roommate, aside from being my best friend and confidante, is also my movie pal and now she isn’t here and I don’t know how to select, watch, and process a movie by myself.
I spent about an hour in the rental store, wandering aimlessly, hoping that a DVD would just jump in front of me with it's shirt ripped and proclaim, “Rent me!” in its best Marlon Brando impression. But alas, that did not happen (By the way, I appreciate A Streetcar Named Desire for its cinematic significance but man is that ever an intense movie!). I called my old roommate for advice but nothing she suggested sounded quite as fun without her there to watch it with me. Finally out of sheer desperation I asked for a consult with a movie rental expert. In this case a movie rental expert is a 17-year-old kid named Marcus who, I assume, works part time at Blockbuster in order to finance his hobby of restoring a very sad old car to its former glory. Marcus was patient and he tried to help by recommending every single movie that a 17-year-old guy would like. Apparently my love for movies does not extend to include the typical fare appreciated by 17-year-old guys (who knew?).
I finally decided on Say Anything. I chose that movie because I believe that anytime a person cannot make a decision about what movie to watch they should select something from the 80s and if Lloyd Dobbler is available than he is an excellent choice. I enjoyed it, Say Anything is a great movie and Lilly with her, “the world is full of guys, be a man!” is just my hero. Anyway, it all turned out all right in the end but I learned from this experience that I haven’t quite figured out how to live alone yet and I need some serious help picking out movies!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol! Oh my gosh I do the same thing . . . that's what I was going to write earlier . . . sigh, I'm going to figure out how to get those lectures to you . . .

Anonymous said...

You two think a lot alike...I think you should be roommates.

Heather said...

You are so silly!!! I'll watch a movie with you! :)
I love you!